These creamy, chocolaty real-food fudgesicles will become your new go-to treat for hot summer days.
Summertime makes me feel so nostalgic for my sunny, Santa Cruz childhood. This year, I decided I wanted to share a favorite childhood treat with my daughter that I hadn’t had in years. FUDGESICLES!
When I decided to develop a nourishing, real-food version of this old favorite I had no idea just how easy it would be.
What Is a Fudgesicle?
A fudgesicle is a creamy, chocolaty frozen treat on a stick. It is similar to a popsicle or chocolate ice cream but with a rich, fudgy, chewy, melty texture. It should not be icy or watery. If it is, it has been made with inferior products like skim milk or water.
Fudgesicles are best when made with lots of healthy fats from real milk and cream, egg yolks, and butter. They should be sweet but not overly so, as their fudgy chocolate flavor is the real star of the show.
Fair-Trade Chocolate Matters
Ideally, fudgesicles should be made with fair-trade chocolate. Read more about why fair-trade chocolate is so important:
Other Frozen Treats To Try
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 pastured egg yolks
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 5 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut in small chunks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized sauce pan and whisk thoroughly.
- Cook over medium heat while whisking continually. When the mixture begins to thicken pay close attention and continue whisking until the mixture is thick enough to see trails from the whisk.
- Take the pan off the heat and place it in an ice bath to cool. Continue whisking every so often.
- When the mixture is cool to the touch it is ready to be poured into the popsicle molds. Freeze overnight for best results.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.