I had so much fun with this DIY upcycled flower basket project that I decided to share it with the world.
Making flower baskets is so easy and doesn’t require many tools. It’s also a great way to reuse some of the things we commonly discard.
These Are the Supplies You Will Need To Create Your Own Stunning Flower Baskets:
- Old baskets: Any shape or size that appeals to you will do. I even have a trick for using baskets with a more open weave.
- Saved plastic: This can be old shopping bags, plastic storage bags, old tarps, or drop cloth plastic.
- Soil: I chose to use an organic potting soil. Don’t throw away that potting soil bag! It can be used to line a basket too!
- Flowers: I chose an assortment of pansies, impatiens, dianthus, fuchsias, and lobelia.
- Staple gun
The Steps Are Really Very Simple.
- Collect all the supplies above.
- Cut the bags or plastic to fit the baskets.
- Cut a small hole in the bottom of the plastic to help the baskets drain.
- Staple the plastic into the basket around the top edge.
- Fill the baskets with soil, leaving a few inches of space for planting.
- Plant your flowers and tuck them in with extra soil.
- Select a location appropriate for your flowers and place a few bricks or flat stones for your baskets to sit on. Leave at least a two-inch-wide gap between the bricks to support airflow around the basket bottoms.
- Water your basket thoroughly.
Pro Tip: For wider weave baskets use brown tarp or brown plastic so it won’t be as noticeable.
Watch this video to see how it’s done!
Put those extra plastic bags and $3 thrift store baskets to good use by creating some beautiful, easy, flower basket planters for your garden.