I had so much fun with this project that I decided to share it with the world.
Making flower baskets is so easy and doesn’t require many tools. It’s also a great way to reuse some of the things we commonly discard.
These are the supplies you will need to create your own stunning flower baskets.
- Old Baskets – Any shape or size that appeals to you will do. I even have a trick for using baskets with a more open weave.
- Saved Plastic – This can be old shopping bags, plastic storage bags, old tarps or drop cloth plastic.
- Soil – I choose to use an organic potting soil. Don’t throw away that potting soil bag! It can be used to line a basket too!
- Flowers – I chose an assortment of Pansies, Impatiens, Dianthus, Fuchsias and Lobelia.
- Staple Gun
The steps are really very simple.
- Collect all the supplies above.
- Cut the bags or plastic to fit the baskets.
- Cut a small hole in the bottom of the plastic to help the baskets drain.
- Staple the plastic into the basket around the top edge.
- Fill the baskets with soil, leaving a few inches of space for planting.
- Plant your flowers and tuck them in with extra soil.
- Select a location appropriate for your flowers and place a few bricks or flat stones for your baskets to sit on. Leave at least a two-inch wide gap between the bricks to support air flow around the basket bottoms.
- Water your basket thoroughly.
Pro Tip: For wider weave baskets use brown tarp or brown plastic so it won’t be as noticeable.
Watch this video to see how it’s done!
Put those extra plastic bags and $3 thrift store baskets to good use by creating some beautiful, easy, Flower Basket Planters for your garden.
Posted by Butter for ALL on Thursday, May 18, 2017